The storage of petrol may ignite Fire resulting in environmental damage and health effects or fatalities.
Petrol Station – Fuel storage and Fire Risks
India currently has 63,674 petrol pumps.
Tips to avoid Fire at Petrol Station.
- Ensure ALL tanks are maintained on a regular basis ensuring the dip and fill point caps.
- Ensure dispense pumps are adequately maintained and monitored.
- Perform regular dipping for water using water finding paste. Water finding paste is a water detection product used to aid in the detection of water within fuel supplies.
- If water is detected in your tanks, a qualified contractor should be used to remove the water and advise on methods to minimise recurrence.
- Ensure your tanks and entire site is compliant to regulations
- Put an upgrade plan in place if tanks and pipework are older or made of steel,
- Ensure all staff are adequately trained
- Identify hazardous areas and control all sources of ignition – use appropriate warning and hazard signs.